Monday, November 1, 2010

The First Piece to My New Office! {Part 1}

A few weeks ago I made the best discovery at a yard sale near my sisters house, an old solid oak desk! And the best part...it was $10! As soon as a saw it I loved it. It is very simple {which is my style} and I knew it could be beautiful refinished. I didn't imediately buy it because I was afraid it was too wide, so we left the yard sale without purchasing the desk. When I see items like this my mind will not give up. I thought about the desk the whole night and about how much I really liked it and what a great deal it was. So the next evening my sister, my brother-in-law, and I drove out to buy and pick up my desk. Luckily it was there and just another sign that this desk was meant to be mine :)

I love this desk for a few reasons! It is my style, simple. There is a place for someone to sit on either side, so when my office is complete I can use it for client consultations if needed. Also, it is going to give me a lot of work space, which is exactly what I needed....and it was $10!

The first thing we did to refinish my desk was to sand it down a little. My husband couldn't wait to help with this part. We bought a new orbital sander last year on black friday and have yet to use it. So he was very excited to use his new tool.

After Sanding it, cleaning it, priming it and then finally painting it my desk turned into this {dont mind my crappy camera pictures}:

Then I put it in its temporary spot {for now} and then added knobs that I got at Hobby Lobby for $2.99 a piece. And this is what my desk has turned into! {I am not completely finished with it, I am working on some accessories for it and I also have a few other things I would like to do to it, but for now this is it}

I am now working on some accessories and will share the finished product with you as soon as I am finished :)

Photobucket

PS: Here is a sneak peek at a few other refinishing projects I am currently working on. The first is a bookshelf/dresser that will someday be a part of a nursery, it was my step dads when he was a child and it is the perfect size for our teeny tiny bedrooms. It also has a matching small corner desk that I have already refinished because I was using it as a computer desk before I found this one. The second picture is a small bookshelf/ magazine rack that I bought at an auction years ago for $7. I can't wait to see this one refinished! The last ones are our entertainment towers in our rec/movie room. I HATE them! But we can't afford to go out and replace them so why not refinish them!

No comments:

Post a Comment